Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hockey in Nashville

Several years ago I worked for a popular tourist attraction here in Nashville. Some of my favorite guest were from Canada. They were the most delightful, best mannered and kindest people I have ever encountered.They were so interested in our southern culture and always said how much they loved visiting the U.S. and the Nashville area in particular.Also. we have an NHL team here which is comprised mostly of Canadian players. These guys and their families are great. also.Most of them have stated how much they like living here and they are very active in community outreach.We love our Preds and want them to stay! Therefore, we certainly understand how people in Canada who have lost their hometown teams can be upset over losing them. But, remember , you have to support what you have or you will lose it. That goes for any sport. They will go where the money and support is.That said,I do not understand why Canadians or at least some Canadians think Pred's fans are their enemies. What happened to all of those great people from all over Canada that I used to talk with who liked us so much? We are supporting an expansion team , not one we "stole" from you!Oh, I know some will probably say hockey is a Canadian sport and I can appreciate that. Well, baseball is supposed to be an American sport but it huge in Japan and I have never yet heard anyone complain about that. For that matter I've never heard anyone say anything negative about the Blue Jays being in Toronto. It really does bother me that people from two civilized countries on the same continent can resort to such pettiness and name calling . If everyone would get out and support a team in their area then hopefully everyone would soon get a team in their own hometown or state or province or whatever and everyone would be happy again

GO PREDS!

p.s. Oilers please keep your hands off of our Tootoo !

No comments: